Monday, November 23, 2009

A New Beginning in a New Old Place


This Blogpost is worth reading the words as well as looking at the pictures. I asked Susanna to write the post because she is so gifted with words. (For more of her beautiful writing, she blogs at susanna-wishfulthinking.blogspot.com).

"The experts say you arenʼt supposed to make any major decisions for a year after experiencing traumatic loss. Well, I didnʼt listen. The year after my husband died was filled with ups and downs and some choices Iʼd prefer to forget... with one notable exception. I bought my dream house. And itʼs perfect. The past four months have been busy with extensive remodeling and we have a few more months to go before itʼs entirely livable. The house was built in 1925, and though perfect, needed a few upgrades in order to be efficient. When I lost Andy there was a profound rift in the place I had once invested so much love and so many dreams. Not only was there a rift, but, over time, there was a build up of displaced love. We were, all of us, created to invest in others. I had three beautiful children, but I understood, from day one, that they needed to grow up and leave home and be free of unhealthy anchors to a grieving mother. But, then, like a little miracle, I found my house and I reinvested. I know itʼs a house. I know it doesnʼt love me back, but itʼs a receptacle for all things me. I love this project. Itʼs a brand new beginning and yet, so many things about my house are culminations of dreams I had as a child. The old meets the new. Thereʼs even a secret passageway.
And, itʼs not only for me. My children need this too...a place to explore and make their own...a house in the city that now has a street named after their father. Itʼs only right. So, when my dear friend Janice came to visit, I asked her to take some photos (with her signature grace) of me and the kids at the new house. Just as I had hoped, she captured the excitement, discovery, and cohesiveness of our little family. And, at the center of it all is our beautiful house."
(Susanna Widman, susanna-wishfulthinking.blogspot.com)















No comments:

Post a Comment